Our first New Beginnings Lunch & Learn hosted by Aynn Riback on April 7th was a great success. We had fun visiting and sharing wonderful, healthy food.
Our day was topped off by an inspiring discussion led by Aynn reviewing an excellent book, “Younger Next Year” by Chris Crowley and Henry Lodge, M.D.
The book reviews ways to turn back your biological clock. "Younger Next Year" draws on the science of aging to show how people 50 or older can:
- Become functionally younger every year and continue to live like fifty-year-olds until well into our eighties.
- Enjoy life and be stronger, healthier, and more alert.
- Stave off the normal decay associated with aging (weakness, sore joints, apathy), and to reduce the potential for illness and injuries.
Aynn did a great job reviewing 10 important points from “Younger Next Year”.
- You do have to age, but you don’t have to rot!
- We all have to die some time, but make it a goal to live happy and healthy until you die.
- Exercise 6 days a week, for the rest of your life! Make at least 4 of these days a 45 minute session elevating your heart rate for an appropriate aerobic work out. Use a heart monitor to assist you in getting your work out intensity to an an aerobic threshold for your age.
- Make exercise your job and one of the most important “to do’s” in your day.
- Include strength training 2 days a week. We have wonderful facilities and trainers available at the Robson sports club to help you develop a good weight training routine.
- Use the “kedging” trick - Set a challenging goal and train for it to climb out of your ordinary routine.
- Quit eating “crap"! Eat whole, non-processed foods, mostly plant based, with limited refined, added sugar.
- Limit your alcohol to no more than 1 drink a day.
- Connect to live. We are wired to do things together and connect with your tribe!
- Be the organizer. Don’t wait for someone else to make positive things happen in your life. Take charge and make it happen.
Our next Lunch and Learn which will be in June! If you would like to offer your home to host the June event, please let me know.
Also upcoming this fall, Aynn will be starting a New Beginnings Book Club focused on wellness and health topics. Watch for details about this in upcoming posts.
Thanks so much for sharing and learning together!
Here’s to a TNT Healthy Year for all of us!!
Blessings to each of you,